When scripting for my comics, I used to write out all the action and dialogue, panel for panel. It's a really traditional way that works for most people and, in truth, it has worked for me as well.
My main problem now is that I keep restructuring and re-editing while I draw the comic and often times almost re-write the entire dialogue when I'm lettering. Sometimes the way an image is drawn will make me think of better dialogue. Sometimes, I find that I haven't drawn enough space for the dialogue and I have to condense it. In many cases, I've thrown out entire scripts in favor of taking the story in a different direction. Heck, for Blue Zombie I threw out entire storylines.
As of now, there are 45 pages for Lumia's Kingdom. I had originally written the first 60 scripts for it.
I only used up to page 25 before I really started winging it.
So for the last 20 pages, I've literally been going without a definite script. I had it thought out what I wanted to do and where I wanted the story to go and even did some small sketches, but nothing was distinctly written for it until I was lettering.
Obviously, my spelling errors went through the roof. Luckily, I've had people point out my mistakes and I've been able to go back and correct them.
Still, I do feel that I need to have something written down, even if I don't follow it 100%. But I didn't want the headache of writing out everything in detail and then gutting weeks of work.
So I came up with an idea.
I do need to write down what happens on every page, but only as a synopsis. I'm literally writing about three or four sentences and maybe a snippet of a conversation now, but that's it. This way, I can clearly document my ideas and good an idea of how the story is flowing on paper before I attempt to execute the drawings. I've only written stuff down for the next five pages so far, but what took me only a few minutes would've taken about half an hour to an hour in full script format.
So far, that's a plus. Let's hope I can keep it up.